Thursday, April 21, 2011

Holy Week - Holy (Maundy) Thursday

Holy Week in the Catholic Church . . . . the triduum. The time between the evening of Holy Thursday and Easter morning, a time of 72 hours (hence the term Triduum, or "Three Days"). During those three days we are called to reflect, pray, fast, and abstain from meat to commemorate Jesus' sacrifice. During this time, those who wish to convert to Catholism are baptized and confirmed. My daughter-in-law Angela will be one of those baptized and I am so, so excited for her!

It's hard to choose which of the Holy Week services are my favorite. They each give me different experiences and feelings. I love Holy Thursday service because we are reminded of the night when Jesus instituted the Eucharist, we wash feet as Jesus did with his disciples and it ends with the removal of the Body of Christ from the tabernacle in the main body of the church. The Eucharist is carried in procession to another place where it is kept overnight, to be distributed during the commemoration of the Lord's Passion on Good Friday. After the procession, the altar is stripped bare, and all bells in the church are silent until the Gloria at the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday. We leave the service in silence. It is just a very spirtual experience. A build-up to the Ressurection.


Tonight Angela and I will be having our feet washed, along with some of the others who will be baptized and confirmed on Saturday. I've participated in this part of the service before and it is a very humbling experience.

Jesus said: "Do you realize what I have done for you? You call me ‘teacher’ and ‘master,’ and rightly so, for indeed I am. If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another’s feet." (John 13: 12-14)



The focus on the instituion of the Eucharist is very important in the Catholic Church. We believe that Christ is really present in the Eucharist (the bread and wine that become the body and blood), that the sacrifice of calvary is repeated at every Mass, and that he gives Himself to us in Holy Communion as food unto eternal life.

Mk 14:22-24 - While they were eating, he took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, and said, "Take it; this is my body." Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, and they all drank from it. He said to them, "This is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed for many."
The third account of the Last Supper could be Matthew's. Matthew, the tax collector Levi, was an eyewitness to the meal. He was one of the twelve Apostles. Matthew probably wrote his Gospel in the 70's.

Mt 26:26-28 - While they were eating, Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and giving it to his disciples said, "Take and eat; this is my body." Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins."

Jn 6:53-56 - Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him."

The uniformity of expression across these authors affirms the literalness. Belief in the real presence demands faith--the basis of new life as called for by Christ throughout scripture. But faith in signs conferring what they signify is the basis also for the Incarnation--appearances belying true meaning. The true significance of the real presence is sealed in John's gospel. Five times in different expressions, Jesus confirmed the reality of what he means.

Jn 6:51 - I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.

Jn 6:53 - Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.

Jn 6:54 - Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life.

Jn 6:55 - For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.

Jn 6:56 - Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.

The best way a person can make a clear literal point is repetition of the same message in different ways. Jesus did this.

Jesus is God. The creative literalness of the words: "This is my body; this is my blood" must be believed. God cannot lie. And God can turn bread into flesh and wine into blood without the appearances of bread and wine changing.

I could go on and on and on about this. It's one of my very favorite subjects to research and talk about!

No comments:

Post a Comment