Thursday, August 25, 2011

Today in History

A lot of things happened on this day throughout history. But #1 on my list is the premiere of the Wizard of Oz. I wonder how many hundreds of times I've seen the movie as a kid myself and then with my kids?

On this day in 1939, The Wizard of Oz, which will become one of the best-loved movies in history, opens in theaters around the United State. 

The Wizard of Oz spawned two sequels, Journey Back to Oz (1974), an animated film featuring the voice of Judy Garland’s daughter, Liza Minnelli, and Return to Oz (1985). A remake with an African American cast, The Wiz starring Diana Ross and Michael Jackson, was released in 1978 with music arranged and conducted by Quincy Jones.

The Wizard of Oz was one of the first 25 films to be put on the National Film Registry, which is reserved for culturally or historically significant movies.

My favorite characters, the munchkins! We represent the Lollipop Guild . . . .







No comments:

Post a Comment