Monday, August 22, 2011

I've Not Been Busy!!!!!

I read a very interesting article about always being busy and about how your first response to being asked how you are is usually always "busy!".

I was just getting ready to post a short blurb about how I realized I've not posted anything in quite some time. I was going to say it's because I've been so busy. So, since I should not use that excuse, I will just say that I've not been busy, I've just been spending a lot of time doing a lot of things that have required a lot of my time!

More later!!!!!


Here is part of the article:

“Life is just a quick succession of busy nothings.”  ~ Jane Austen

Do you remember the last time you asked someone how work was? How about life in general? What was their response?

What did you say the last time you were asked those questions? I bet I know. It’s the same thing almost everyone I talk to says, and something I’ve been keeping track of the past few weeks.

The unanimous answer: “busy”

The response is almost programmed. No need to think.


How did we all of a sudden find ourselves in a society where busy was the most acceptable way to be spending our time?

We’ve talked of being busy for so long that we’ve forgotten that being busy was never the goal. We are not on this earth to be busy. We are here to build relationships, experience life, go places, create things, help others, or whatever else you decide. Our reasons for being will all be different but I have a feeling that none of us feel we are here simply to be busy. But this thinking has lead us to think busy is good…no matter what we’re busy with.

Being busy is not the way we should measure our worth. It is up to each of us to decide how we ought to be spending our time. I do not believe being busy is a worthy goal for any of us. Before you know it, you might get caught up being busy doing worthless things.

I’ve realized that busy is simply a state of mind. A state that often causes stress, unhappiness and waisted energy.

I propose that we all take a moment to stop, recognize this unhealthy state, and make the decision to no longer be busy. Enjoy the weight that gets lifted off your back simply by changing your focus. Perception is reality and none of us need busy to be that reality. I bet you’ll get even more done and have time left over to do the things you really care about.

Life can never be too busy for the things that matter most to you. If you don’t have time for those, the busywork won’t matter anyway.


The full article is located here:


No comments:

Post a Comment